Eugenel Espiritu, Ph.D.
- Postdoctoral Fellow
In the Hukriede lab, I have been part of both research focuses of our group: characterizing the molecular processes of kidney development and regeneration and how our small molecule therapeutics enhance kidney regeneration after insult. I am currently developing models for kidney injury to better understand how types of injury manifest which will also be used as a base for therapeutics testing.
Education & Training
- 2015 – Current Hukriede Laboratory, UPitt, Postdoctoral Fellow
- 2009 - 2015 University of California, Davis, CA, Doctorate in Cell and Developmental Biology, L. Rose Laboratory,
- 2007 - 2009 San Francisco State University, CA, Masters in Cell and Molecular Biology, Burrus Laboratory
- 2006 – 2007 Draper Laboratory, UCD, Research Technician
- 2003 - 2005 University of California, Davis, CA, Bachelors of Science in Genetics
- 2000 - 2003 Sacramento City College, CA
Espiritu EB, Jiang H, Moreau-Marquis S, Sullivan M, Yan K, Beer Stolz D, Sampson MG, Hukriede NA, Swiatecka-Urban A. The human nephrin Y(1139)RSL motif is essential for podocyte foot process organization and slit diaphragm formation during glomerular development. J Biol Chem. 2019 Jul 12;294(28):10773-10788. doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA119.008235. Epub 2019 May 31. PubMed PMID: 31152064; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6635437.
Espiritu EB, Phua Y, Cerqueira D, Butterworth M, Ho J, Hukriede NA, Cirio MC. The Lhx1-Ldb1 complex interacts with Furry to regulate microRNA expression during pronephric kidney development. Scientific Reports. Epub 2018 Oct 29. PubMed PMID: 30375416; PubMed Central PMCID:PMC6207768.
Brilli Skvarca L, Han HI, Espiritu EB, Missinato MA, Rochon ER, McDaniels MD, Bais AS, Roman BL, Waxman JS, Watkins SC, Davidson AJ, Tsang M, Hukriede NA. Enhancing regeneration after acute kidney injury by promoting cellular dedifferentiation in zebrafish. Dis Model Mech. 2019 Apr 5. PubMed PMID: 30890583. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6505474
Han HI, Skvarca LB, Espiritu EB, Davidson AJ, Hukriede NA. The role of macrophages during acute kidney injury: destruction and repair. Pediatr Nephrol. 2018 Jan 30. doi: 10.1007/s00467-017-3883-1. Review. PubMed PMID: 29383444; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6066473.